Wednesday, January 25, 2012

An Anniversary - and an Announcement.

Today is my six-month anniversary as an Angel resident. And to celebrate that, I have decided to tell you about a little project that I’ve spent the last couple of months working on. Drumroll, please… I present to you – Turnout Arts! What on earth is that, you ask? Let me tell you all about it!
Since I finished my Bachelor’s degree at the University of Copenhagen in 2008 – and while I was working on obtaining my Master’s degree from the same institution – I have been working with performing arts. Right from the start, I was lucky enough to be given a lot of opportunities and I worked my way up, from assistant jobs of all sorts to most recently being the producer for a very talented and lovely choreographer. Despite being really excited about moving to London, I was a little sad to leave behind all the people I’d worked so closely with for several years, and I decided that I wanted the best of both worlds (yeah, I’m like that…). So I have established Turnout Arts with the main purpose of promoting Danish dance artists in London. And I am proud to say that I already have three clients!
I’m the kind of person who spends entirely too much time on the things that shouldn’t be at the top of my list – say, finding a name for my company before remembering that I need to register it with HM Revenue & Customs as well. And this time was no different: I was out having dinner with the man, and we were brainstorming about names. Suddenly a girl walks by the restaurant we’re in, and without really thinking about it I say: »There goes a dancer.« The man looks out, sees her characteristically turned-out feet, and says: »You could always call the company Duck Feet Productions…« Needless to say, he’s a very funny man. Anyway, in ballet-lingo, having duck feet is called turnout and after we’d moved from Duck Feet Productions to something-something-turnout, I started to like the direction we were going in. I love the idea of using a name that represents something that’s very characteristic of this wonderful art form – the turned out feet that are a part of ballet’s distinctive aesthetics, something that every dancer works on throughout their career. At the same time, the name represents my future projects – hopefully bestowing upon them a good turnout, whether it’s a sold-out house or any other kind of happy ending. So when, after a couple of glasses of wine, we arrived at Turnout Arts, we were quite pleased with ourselves.  
With the launch of Turnout Arts, I also throw myself into the world of social media. This blog is the first step; the next step is actually using the Twitter-account (@mettewb) I’ve had for, oh, about a year or so… I am a firm believer in the power of social media, and living in London has only strengthened that belief – the dance world here is on Twitter-fire! So I guess it’s about time I join the party. Retweets, hashtags and eavestweeting – I’m ready.
Maybe this post has left some of you thinking »What’s with the self-promotion? Where did all the Alabama-jokes go?« Well, first of all – aren’t blogs all about self-promotion? And second of all… Turnout Arts is what the lovely Brits call a Sole Trader company. That means that there is no distinction between the company and me – and that’s exactly how I feel about my work. So when I write about my life here in London, it wouldn’t make sense to leave out Turnout Arts, or any of my other work for that matter, because it’s what I do. I also plan to spam you with links to the articles I write and tell you about the performances I work on. So don’t say I didn’t warn you. Dance is who I am. Well, dance and Alabama. And Starbucks. And – well, you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment